Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Importance of Family

Judith
In late July I traveled to Long Beach, California to celebrate my aunt Helen's 103rd birthday. I was able to also spend time with my cousin and her daughter. Because we live about 1500 miles apart, we don't see each other very often. I do try (and usually succeed) in writing a newsy family letter once a month because they don't do emails and we seem to miss each other with phone calls.


Christy and her Employee of the Month Notice
When I arrived Sunday, the party was in full swing. About 50 people filled the area sitting on folding chairs, steps, and around the table on the patio. People had brought cards, food, flowers, and gifts to help Helen celebrate.

This was my first time to see the completed landscaping of the courtyard area of the apartment complex. What I noticed immediately was the walkway had been moved to run closer to the building and that allowed for the space to create gathering and bar-b-que area.

My cousin's daughter, Christy, is a whiz with party planning, food prep, etc. and she outdid herself for her granny. The BBQ pulled pork she made was Amazing! She made sure her granny had carrot cake with cream cheese icing, Helen's favorite and she created a masterpiece by adding fresh blueberries and something magical to a store bought lemon bundt cake.

I don't have pictures of the party and feast, but I do of the new courtyard!

1 comment:

Sarah Raplee said...

What lovely memories you are making!