Monday, November 2, 2015

The Ultimate Gift of Kindness

By Judith Ashley

Stressing out over what other people think is not an act of kindness to ourselves. I remember a time in the 1960’s when my parents were coming to visit. My husband worked two jobs in lumber mills, we had a German Shepard and a new baby. A very clear memory is my insisting that my husband move the refrigerator and stove out from the wall so I could clean behind them before my parents arrived.

The logic of what would actually happen on the visit escaped me at the time. They were coming to see their first grandchild. My husband and I, our house, etc. were extraneous.

The reality of whether my mother would ever pull my refrigerator and stove out to see if I’d cleaned behind them lost in a mental sea of anxiety.

Over the years I’ve come to see how much of the stress in my life is self-created. Worry about something that hasn’t happened and may never happen affects one’s mental, physical and spiritual health.

This past week, Friday and Saturday to be exact, I gave myself the ultimate gift of kindness. I treated myself to hours of watching the Breeder’s Cup. I didn’t miss a race. When American Pharaoh won the Breeder’s Cup Classic, I was cheering from my couch with tears in my eyes. I’d seen all of his races since the Kentucky Derby. At some point in the coverage they showed the stats of the last five Triple Crown winners. I’d seen the last four winners race.

Today I’m inviting you to take the Ultimate Kindness pledge and give yourself something that represents kindness this week (and beyond). If you do, you’ll make a choice that will positively impact your life.

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual traditions that nurture the soul. The first five books in the series are available through major e-vendors and Judith’s Windtree Press Author page and website.

Follow Judith on Twitter: @JudithAshley19


Check out Judith’s FB page here.

If you missed the race, click the Breeder's Cup Classic link and watch horse racing history being made. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Diana McCollum said...

Boy, that's a hard thing to do. Treat oneself to kindness. In this busy world and care taking my mom and sometimes my husband, I put myself on the bottom of the list. So today, I am going to finish crocheting a baby blanket for my new little Grandson. It's something I've worked on here and there. I love to crochet. Thanks for an interesting blog post.Author dianamccollum.weebly.com