Monday, March 12, 2018

More Lessons From The Olympics

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual traditions that nurture the soul.

Another lesson from the Olympics that applies to being an author.

It doesn’t matter what other people think about your performance. If you are doing your best that’s “good enough.”

Who won the Gold? As the surprise winner of the women’s Giant Slalom said (and I paraphrase) “The others had so much pressure to win. I could just ski.”

I can’t imagine having a microphone constantly stuck in my face before and after a competition. Some of the athletes are still regaining their normal breathing and are gasping for air. And how does the reporter, no matter how nice she is or how well-formed the question, think the person feels when they don’t medal. Loved Lindsey Vonn’s answer. “I tried.”

That’s another lesson.

We try.

We show up.

We do our best.

As we write, our “best” shifts and changes. 

Best Selling Author, Malcolm Gladwell and Earl Nightingale, of Nightingale-Conant, pioneers in audio Motivational Programs, give stats on what it takes to become an expert/master at what you are doing.

Malcolm’s number is a bit foggy in my mind. What I remember is, when I translated it into writing, I needed to write at least a million words to gain any level of expertise.

Earl Nightingale’s message is “spend an hour a day learning/studying your business and within 5 years you’ll be an internationally recognized expert”.

Therefore, because we show up, we increase our skill level.

And when we show up we are demonstrating a critical element in any success. Commitment. I'll share more about Commitment next Monday. I hope you'll share your thoughts about the lessons you've learned from life experiences.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com


Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2018 Judith Ashley

No comments: