Monday, March 19, 2018

Commitment


Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual traditions that nurture the soul.

Matt Buchman had an interesting post up at Romancing The Genres on 02/28/2018  But I Had A Plan.

Matt references Napoleon Hill’s work specifically
+ Have a clear and specific goal
+ Have a passion to reach that goal
+ Have an unshakable belief in being able to reach the goal

As I read Matt’s post I was reminded of Garrett Gunderson’s point about 100% commitment. What I see Matt and other successful authors have is that 100% commitment. And that is a part of the “unshakable belief” they can reach that clear and specific goal for which they have a passion. These authors put 30 - 40 – 60 hours a week into their writing (research, writing, publishing, promotion).

Others of us (and I include myself in this category), have a clear and specific goal, we have the passion to reach that goal and we have a belief we will reach the goal – in time. We have commitment but it’s not the same 100% commitment Napoleon Hill talked about or these successful authors display. Our commitment isn’t 100%. Our lives do not revolve around our goal.

I’m pointing this out not to say One way is Right and the Other way Wrong. 

They are both valid.

I’m pointing this out to say don’t expect the same results unless you are putting forth the same level of commitment. My 75% commitment is not going to give me the same results as someone who puts in 100%. It will, more than likely, give me better results than someone at the 50% level.

The following is what I shared with some writer friends:

I’m not in the 100% commitment place either. It’s helpful to me to see commitment as a continuum of sorts and look at those things that I work on – as altogether they are a 100% commitment of my time and energy.

I also reminded them about a friend who, this past year, had my 100% commitment for periods of time. This year not so much. I may commit a morning or part of a day to him and his affairs but I am not 100% committed to him. On a three hour round trip drive to visit him, I listened to Dr. Joe Vitale’s “The Missing Secret” CDs. Listening to that CDs was all about me. And as it turned out, listening to the CDs ended up being about my writing.

So instead of saying “I didn’t get any writing done yesterday” the reality is I got a couple of hours (more like 4 - 5 when I add in other things I did) on my writing.

Judith and Sarah Raplee with poster of
first published book
Each of us are living our own lives in accordance to our core values and priorities. Acknowledging what our commitment is to various aspects of our lives is important. Not just our commitment level but also our priorities.

All of the authors I know that I see at the 100% commitment level to their writing, do stop and focus on other priorities in their lives. The ones I know have done this because of people in their lives needing them. Writing goes on the back burner for the time needed to resolve, solve whatever was going on.

Looking at your life as 100%, what are your priorities? Where is writing? Or if not an author, your career/job? What about re-creation? Family? It might be helpful to look at this as a pie chart with the various aspects of your life having varying size slices.

However, look at your life another way – prioritize your life.

Relationships (family, friends, etc.); 

Recreation (what you do for fun/relaxation); 

Career/Hobby (activity that you have fun doing and get lost in the process so time just slips by); 

Survival (Health and things like bill paying activity – you’d put your job here if the purpose for working that job was only to pay the bills).

You can share your thoughts about commitment in the comment section below.

Your free copy of Lily: The Dragon and The Great Horned Owl is waiting for you. Just click here and sign up for my mailing list (I will not spam you and you can always unsubscribe).

I’ve also ventured into non-fiction and Staying Sane in a Crazy World release is planned for March 26, 2018! Click this link to be added to my mailing list and you’ll receive a free advanced copy of Staying Sane. This offer ends at midnight March 25, 2018. FYI: You are actually only added once to my mailing list but this way you get both books free!


Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2018 Judith Ashley

1 comment:

Sarah Raplee said...

Very interesting post, Judith! As always, you've got me thinking. I will give this some thought and then add another comment.