Monday, May 23, 2016

Arizona Highlights and Ten Minute Plays


Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women's Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual traditions that nurture the soul.

Trip Highlights

Watching Ten Minute Plays in Casa Grande

Creating My First Raffle Basket

Enhancing My Book Signing Display

Spending Time with family and friends.

Listening to J.A. Jance Talk About Her Journey to Realizing Her Dream as a Writer

Robin with her Certificate
I've already blogged about Raffle Baskets and Book Signings as well as why I love to attend the Desert Dreams Writer's Conference.

One of the highlights of this trip was being able to surprise my friend and award winning play-write, Robin Kramme. I met Robin in 2010 when we both volunteered at the Registration table. We touched base with each other throughout the conference and have kept in contact since. A dedicated writer, Robin started writing short plays as a way to improve writing dialogue. She has had so much fun in this creative endeavor, she's stopped writing romance novels!

Here's her bio:


Robin Kramme is enjoying success in the short play genre after happily retiring from a long and exhausting career in the hotel industry that included extensive travel and endless meetings.  Her creative work has been selected and stage read three consecutive years at the Arizona Women's Theatre Company’s Pandora Festival as well as a 2015 production of one her plays by the Gulfport (Florida) Community Players and a 2016 Judges Awarding winning production of another play at the Casa Grande Ten-Minute Play Contest.  She believes live theatre holds a special place in today's competitive entertainment arena.

Romancing The Genres celebrated plays in 2011 and, of course, we invited Robin. Occasional emails between conferences sustained our friendship. One of the things I missed during this time is being able to attend her plays. I remember "Lost Luggage" particularly tugged at me because I've certainly lost my luggage at one time or another.

Here I am with Award Winning Playwright, Robin Kramme
When I got an email from Robin announcing her play "Without A Doubt" had been chosen as a finalist in the 10 Minute Plays being performed in Casa Grande on April 2, I took a look at my Desert Dreams travel plans. By going early instead of staying longer, I would be in AZ on April 2. Next I checked in with my friend, Gimi, who lives in Maricopa to see how far Casa Grande was from her. (It was an inch or so on the map).

Everything came together and I spent Friday night in Maricopa and Saturday we drove to Casa Grande, had dinner and watched the 5 plays that had been selected to be performed.

What a TREAT!!!

First, Robin was so surprised to see me. The look on her face was priceless.

Women's Club
Second, I was able to see "Without A Doubt" performed and win the Judges' Award.


Third, the plays were performed in the historic Women's Club.



Already I'm looking forward to 2018 and attending the Desert Dream Writers Conference. Fingers are crossed that my trip will coincide with the performance of another Robin Kramme play.


You can learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series on my website.


Follow me on Twitter: @JudithAshley19

I’m also on Facebook

© 2016 Judith Ashley

No comments: