Monday, September 11, 2017

Hummingbirds, Cats and Peace in Our World

Judith is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual practices that nourish the soul and celebrates the journey from relationship to romance.
One of the wonders I look for in my yard are hummingbirds sipping from the salvia. Something else I also see is a cat stalking through my yard focused on these same hummingbirds. While I also focus on these tiny bundles of energy when I spot them, I wish them no harm.
I’ve seen cats (more than one comes into my yard) pounce on birds, including the hummers.
Salvia blossoms
You may be asking yourself “what do these thoughts and observations have to do with writing blog posts?”
Here’s my answer:
Labor Day Weekend I attended one of this year’s Women of the 14th Moon Gatherings. I was talking with a couple of women about unconditional acceptance and why that is important if we want to experience unconditional love.
Our conversation included my telling about an experience I had doing a workshop in Slovenia on “Peace In Our World” right after the Balkan War in the mid-1990’s. My premise: Peace requires that we choose to live a peaceful life and to do that we must give up revenge. I will add that my premise was not accepted by many in the workshop. Of course people in attendance had experiences, witnessed or heard first-hand accounts of atrocities so their point of view wasn’t unexpected.
When Lynn talked about forgiveness, a brilliant light of “Aha” shone forth. I had not talked to the group in Slovenia about forgiveness and why it serves us more than the one(s) we forgive.
What I know now is:
We cannot give up revenge for those wrongs done to us until we can forgive.
We cannot have peace in our own lives until we forgive ourselves.
We cannot unconditionally accept others until we can unconditionally accept ourselves.
I’ll talk more next Monday about how these ideas fit into the story about the hummers and the cats. Hope you’ll come back and continue the dialogue with me.
Your free copy of Lily: The Dragon and The Great Horned Owl is waiting for you.

Go to JudithAshleyRomance.com and sign up for my occasional newsletter “Connections.” Follow the prompts to download your own digital copy of the first book in The Sacred Women’s Circle series.

Learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: @JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Pressauthor page.


You can also find Judith on FB!

2 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

"We cannot give up revenge for those wrongs done to us until we can forgive."

I agree with this statement. It can be very hard to forgive someone, depending on the wrongs, atrocities etc perpetrated against one. I know hanging on to anger is unhealthy to the host.

I have experienced this. And I do not like to feel that much anger. It's devastating. To me, Revenge is Anger. Forgiveness is hard but necessary. And just because you forgive someone, it doesn't mean you condone their actions.

Judith Ashley said...

"And just because you forgive someone, it doesn't mean you condone their actions."

That is your wisdom speaking, Diana. So many people equate forgiveness with approval or condoning the action. They then miss the gift in "forgiveness."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!