Monday, May 28, 2018

My Favorite Grands and Great-Grands

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual practices that nourish the soul and celebrates the journey from relationship to romance.

One of the songs I find myself singing or humming is from The Sound of Music “These Are A Few of My Favorite Things.” Since my February theme was about things I love, I am taking a bit of license to change this out to “These are a few of my Favorite People.”
My oldest grands favorite book
I’m ending this month with my grands and great-grands. I’ve been very fortunate to be an integral part of my granddaughters’ lives as they have both lived with me for long periods of time.
My oldest granddaughter is a young woman who is a bright light of sunshine in the lives of many (including mine). When she was young, the song “You Are My Sunshine” was her theme song. It fit her when she was four and still fits her at twenty-eight.
Recently when she came to visit, we sat on my couch and I read to her a book from our past. I think we both had it memorized all those years ago but still turned the pages because of the glorious illustrations. When I finished reading it to her, I handed it to her. A kind of passing of the baton. This is My Gift To You.
For my youngest grand 
My youngest granddaughter is the mother of two (my great-grands). When she was young, her song was “I Love You A Bushel and a Peck.” I’ve fond memories of the joy in her voice as she joined in the chorus of “Doodle, oodle, doodle, do.”
When they are together you know they are related and if you get to know both of them, you see other similarities. They are both loyal friends, trusted employees and hard workers. They put family and friends first. They are forging different life paths and are often busy with their own personal lives but the core values of honesty and loyalty are solid.
Guess what's her favorite color?
Great grands? What joy they bring to my life. My youngest great grand just turned one. I’ve not been as much a part of his life as I have been of my oldest great grand who will be three this month. Both of these little ones are loving and affectionate. They have a level of confidence and openness that reflects the consistency of their mom and dad and other adults in their lives.
What boy doesn't want a red ball?
Songs? Not from me, but my oldest great grand has inherited her mom’s song. I smile when I hear her young voice warble on the chorus. Takes me back a couple of decades to very special memories.
Both of my granddaughters have been a part of my fiction writing life but were living their own lives when, last year, I ventured into writing non-fiction.
My first book, Staying Sane in a Crazy World is available at your favorite e-retailer. By following the simple process outlined in this book, you can create your own personal staying sane plan when the world around you goes crazy.
Do you ever feel as if the world around you is tumbling out of control and there is nothing you can do to make your world a better place?

Do you ever wish there was?

Staying Sane in a Crazy World may help guide you toward stopping the tumbling and choosing how to take effective control of your life.

The reality is there is no One answer that fits all but we each have Our answer.

In this short guide, Judith Ashley leads you through a straight-forward process that allows you to find Your answers.

Answers you’ll use to craft a Personal Staying Sane Plan that will help you regain and keep your balance whenever the world around you is out-of-whack.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 

© 2018 Judith Ashley

2 comments:

Maggie Lynch said...

How wonderful that each of them have favorite songs, and hearing them brings back such great memories for you.

I don't remember a particular favorite song as a child. However, I was often taken by the big musicals or movies of the time. I definitely still have an affinity for Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz. And when I saw the Sound of Music, My Favorite Things was one of many songs from their I loved.

More than my songs, I do remember what my parent's songs were because my mother played piano and they would sometimes sing together or one would sing to the other.

My father's favorite song was definitely Danny Boy. I always thought it was sad as the girl yearns for someone who is likely dead from the war or an uprising. Yet, she believes they will be reunited in death. Perhaps that was the part they loved, the forever kind of love promised even after death. Also because my father is Irish, I suspect he loved to hear it for that reason as well.

My mother's favorite song to play on the piano and sing, or have Dad sing, was Begin the Beguine. That one was definitely hugely romantic to me in middle-school. Around the house, as she was working, Mom would sing church songs like Swing Low Sweet Chariot and Michael Row the Boat Ashore.

Judith Ashley said...

Music was a big part of my parent's life and thus mine growing up. They loved the Big Bands and had the albums of Tommy Dorsey, etc. On car trips, we sang songs like "You Are My Sunshine" and "Bushel and a Peck" as well as "Mares Eat Oats." A paternal great aunt played the guitar and we'd have family sing-a-longs of the songs of her youth (a generation before my parents). I was named after her. I also remember my mom and dad dancing to the music playing on the radio or record player.

Thanks for the memory jog, Maggie. It's always fun to look back and see the good times when growing up.