Monday, May 21, 2018

My Favorite Most Inspiring Friends

Judith Ashley is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual practices that nourish the soul and celebrates the journey from relationship to romance.

One of the songs I find myself singing or humming is from The Sound of Music “These Are A Few of My Favorite Things.” Since my February theme was about things I love, I am taking a bit of license to change this out to “These are a few of my Favorite People.”
Let me introduce you to friends who inspire me and others. They aren’t nationally well-known people but those of us who know them recognize their dedication to the less fortunate in our society.

Kris Bella and I’ve been circle sisters and friends since the mid-90’s. I will admit I didn’t understand why it was important to her to be one of the founders of Free Arts Northwest, but a decade and more later, I can see what she has accomplished. This non-profit provides opportunities for at-risk youth to be involved in art. Kris has her master’s in art therapy and is an adjunct professor in Marylhurst College’s Art Therapy program so she does know how healing art can be. The program Free Arts NW has that I’m most familiar with is Spring Break Film Camp. While I’ve not been to every premier I’ve been to more than one.

During this week in March, youth write, direct, perform, edit, etc. their own films. After they are professionally mastered, the Hollywood theater is the venue for the Premier. What I love about this program is that these youth not only have a chance to express themselves but they learn all the pieces to the creative film-making process thus gaining a life-long skill. Many of the youth come back year-after-year until they age out.

Kris is someone who dreams big and then follows her dreams. Check out her latest dream manifestation – Arte Soleil, a Studio and Marketplace (Gift shop) that she and her musician husband, Pete Fennell started. If you are in the Portland, OR area, check out Arte Soleil’s website to see hours and when Open Mic and other special events are scheduled.



When my neighbor Juanita retired, she told me that she wanted to volunteer. She’s always loved animals so she looked for opportunities to volunteer with  programs that support animals. Initially her time was spent with Project Pooch, a non-profit program that matches stray/rescue dogs with incarcerated youth.

Juanita started Beading the Odds another non-profit that she heads up under the auspices of Janus Youth Programs. BTO volunteers travel every Sunday to teach young men how to bead. They learn to make necklaces, bracelets and earrings.  Juanita attends several events a year to sell the items these young men create. Profits go into their accounts. They can keep items and give them as gifts to family members and friends.

Again, when they are released, these young men have a skill they can use (some are Very Talented artistically) on the outside.

Both Free Arts NW and Beading The Odds accept donations (cash or supplies). You can reach them directly or if there is a problem, please let me know and I’ll connect you.

Who do you have in your life who is an inspiration?

My first non-fiction book, Staying Sane in a Crazy World is available at your favorite e-retailer. By following the simple process outlined in this book, you can create your own personal staying sane plan when the world around you goes crazy.
Do you ever feel as if the world around you is tumbling out of control and there is nothing you can do to make your world a better place?

Do you ever wish there was?

Staying Sane in a Crazy World may help guide you toward stopping the tumbling and choosing how to take effective control of your life.

The reality is there is no One answer that fits all but we each have Our answer.

In this short guide, Judith Ashley leads you through a straight-forward process that allows you to find Your answers. Answers you’ll use to craft a Personal Staying Sane Plan that will help you regain and keep your balance whenever the world around you is out-of-whack.

Learn more about Judith's The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19


Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 


© 2018 Judith Ashley