Monday, August 14, 2017

Self-Acceptance is First

Judith is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual practices that nourish the soul and celebrates the journey from relationship to romance.
For this next post we’ll take a look at our own self-acceptance rating. I come from the belief that we can best help others by taking care of ourselves. This has not always been how I’ve viewed the world. But then thoughts such as this one popped up.
When you are sick with some bug, how well can you take care of someone else? If you are me, not as good as I am when I’m well.
Extrapolate that thinking and you come up with the concept that in order to be at your best in helping others, you must be your best.
I’ve made progress in this past several years. And here is a classic example:
In February 2011 when Sarah Raplee and I came up with the idea for a group blog—Romancing The Genres (Check us out!) I was a fast typist on the computer. I could write reports, emails and I had completed the first three books in the Sacred Women’s Circle series. Of the two of us, Sarah was the techie. She fearlessly clicked the “Help” button on Blogger for help. I hesitated to search on the internet for anything much less click into the vast unknown.
It's a bit blurry but this is Sarah and me at our first book signing!
Saturday night Sarah and I were on the phone talking about, if I purchase a used Mac so I can learn and put my books on Vellum, oh and there was a discussion about using the ‘macincloud’. I’d actually searched for the Vellum site and then read several responses on a site dedicated on how best to use Vellum.
Am I fearless when it comes to clicking around the world-wide web? No, I still have my moments. But, I am cautious, not terrified I’ll do something wrong and my computer will blow up. (I see some of you laughing!)
How did I shift from fear to caution and from ‘knowing’ I can’t to believing I can learn new techie things?
I changed how I saw myself.
I went from ‘conditional acceptance’ to unconditional acceptance that I am an intelligent woman and have the capacity (mental, emotional and physical) to learn new things.
Did it happen overnight? Absolutely not.
And I do consider that if I believed it could change overnight, it would or it would change more rapidly? Yes I do. I’m an unconditional-acceptance- work-in-progress.
If you believe, you can succeed
Your assignment if you wish to continue on this journey to unconditional acceptance with me is this:
Pick one aspect of yourself you’d like to see in a positive light. 
Write out in present tense what this aspect is as if it already exists. Now look at specific thoughts and actions you can take to stay on this path.
Notice mine is “I easily and effortlessly learn (present tense) new software. I could be more specific and say ‘Vellum’. I could leave it there. I can also add why. The added value to me in this project. "I easily and effortlessly learn Vellum so I am more efficient and effective in publishing my books."
You can decide if adding the value of the project is important to your moving forward on the path to unconditional acceptance. 
My action steps or plan include: seeking input from others about where to purchase a used Mac; use my Microsoft One Drive more consistently to improve my experience in using The Cloud so I can better determine which option is better for me; remind myself when (notice I’m not using ‘if’) I feel frustrated that I’m intelligent and can learn this; regroup/resume and go forth again.
Check back in next Monday for another post on Unconditional Acceptance.
Your free copy of Lily: The Dragon and The Great Horned Owl is waiting for you.

Go to JudithAshleyRomance.com and sign up for my occasional newsletter “Connections.” Follow the prompts to download your own digital copy of the first book in The Sacred Women’s Circle series.

Learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: @JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.


You can also find Judith on FB!

No comments: