Monday, January 15, 2018

Dark Moon Intentions

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018, we will experience the darkest night of the month. I celebrate the Dark Moon each month either by myself or with a small group of friends. Because the Dark Moon signals a shift in the Moon’s energy, it is a perfect time to align focus, goals, and intentions with the night’s light. And that's what we do, share our focus, goals, intentions, what we want to achieve between the Dark Moon in January until the Dark Moon in February (which happens to be February 15).

In my home I’ve small windows on either side of the fireplace. When sitting on my couch I can see out the windows and watch the moon traverse the night sky. This is especially spectacular when the moon is full. But when it is close to as well as on the Dark Moon, the sky remains dark.

It was on one of those evenings when I was sitting on my couch watching the light from the Full Moon first appear and then grow brighter until I could see Grandmother Moon framed within  my living room windows that the inspiration for a story came to me. In fact when you read Grandmother Moon,you will see what I see from my very own couch. I doubt you’ll be surprises to learn that writing the setting in that story came fairly easy.

Where do you find inspiration?

FYI: You can find “Grandmother Moon” in the anthology Love & Magick. Included in the anthology are short stories by Sarah Raplee and Diana McCollum.


Learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series at JudithAshleyRomance.com

Follow Judith on Twitter: JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.

You can also find Judith on FB! 


© 2018 Judith Ashley

4 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Interesting blog, Judith. I learned more about the significance of Dark Moon gatherings.

I find inspiration in all sorts of places. News stories, overheard conversations, travel, and sometimes just out of the blue. But the following tidbit is near and dear to my heart.

Losing sight in one eye ultimately inspired me to write my first novel, BLINDSIGHT, in which a resourceful wedding singer takes a calculated risk in order to earn the money she needs to change careers so she can keep her elderly Guide dog, who is her only family. In the process, she escapes the villain through the wilderness with an undercover FBI agent who learns everything he thinks about blind people is wrong.

I love Grandmother Moon. I'm waiting for you to write a sequel. May you continue to be inspired!

Deb N said...

I've always loved the moon as an image. I will never forget Christmas Eve in CO years ago with my daughter and her family. As we drove away from her in-laws after a wonderful family gathering, we were on a winding country road in between mountains and a river, and in the Elk migration path. It was snowing lightly, but the full moon was peeking though the light cloud cover. All of a sudden we were surrounded by a herd of Elk. With the light of the moon eerily magnifying the swirling snow and the silhouettes of massive antlered Elk - it was a sight to behold. We obviously stopped the car, since we were afraid of hitting an Elk. They were everywhere all around us. We watched for quite a while until they wandered off. I have used a version of that scene in several books. It is still so vivid in my mind.

Judith Ashley said...

Sarah, So often our perception of other people is all wrong. You certainly show Melisande as a resilient young woman who happens to be blind. As to a sequel to "Grandmother Moon"? There have been a few peeps from my story whisperer but not enough to write about.

Judith Ashley said...

Deb, I love the image of being surrounded on a winding country road by a herd of elk with the full moon shining through breaks in the cloud cover. I used to travel a lot when I worked in the domestic and international adoption field. I never was surrounded by a herd of elk but I do have memories of them along the side of the road as I passed by---always at a reduced speed with my foot poised to hit the brake if one decided to cross the road. They really are magnificent. There are so many inspiring sights when we stop and look. Glad versions of this one has made it into several of your books.