Monday, July 10, 2017

The Power of Reflection

Judith is the author of The Sacred Women’s Circle series, romantic fiction that honors spiritual practices that nourish the soul and celebrates the journey from relationship to romance.
My journey includes figuring out how to talk to people about my books. The Sacred Women’s Circle series has a strong spiritual element to each of the books and the heat level (sensual, sexual scenes) varies dramatically.
Add to that I was raised with the admonishment that talking about one’s self isn’t attractive, tooting your own horn is vulgar, etc.
Oh, and pricing? That has been a gigantic hurdle to overcome.
But I’ve been working on these cultural barriers.
While at the Desert Dreams Writers’ Conference I figured out how to talk about my books in a different way.
In preparing for the day long “Readers’ Experience” I worked with Paul Iarrobino at True Path Consulting NW. After brainstorming ideas and some time to reflect, I decided on the following question.
What would it be like to be in a place where you were unconditionally accepted, unconditionally supported and unconditionally loved?
Take a minute and seriously consider this question.
When I asked this question of readers at the Reader Experience Event, I watched as they went within, their eyes drifted closed, their gaze became unfocused, some even sighed. What did they say?
“I’d be dead.”
“Heaven.”
Or a combination of the two.
Struck by the reality that none of the people said “Oh, I have that XXX,” I initially was shocked.
How different would our lives be if we had that place of safety? That haven where we are unconditionally accepted, supported and loved. I will admit it is not in my life 24/7 but I have been places and experienced the profound sense of love and safety that comes from being in a sacred space.
Upon reflection I also realized another truth.
There are sacred women’s circles and there are women’s circles. In both women come together and engage in spiritual practices.
What’s the difference?
In a sacred women’s circle there is unconditional acceptance, unconditional support and unconditional love. And that is the foundation for The Circle, the sacred women’s circle these seven women create.
If you start with Lily: The Dragon and The Great Horned Owl and read each book, when you finish the series you’ll have the framework for creating your own sacred women’s circle. You’ll have prayers, ideas for altars, information about the Eight Sabbats or pagan high holy days. You’ll see how having a strong spiritual practice and a sacred women’s circle supports each of these women as they face the real life challenges that are part and parcel of our daily lives.
I’d love to hear your comments about unconditional acceptance, support and love.
Please share where, if any, you have these places in your life. And, equally important, if you don’t, what would your life be like if you did?
Check back next week to learn more about the women in The Circle.

Learn more about The Sacred Women’s Circle series on my website.

Follow Judith on Twitter: @JudithAshley19

Check out Judith’s Windtree Press author page.


You can also find Judith on FB!

No comments: